Chicken, Chorizo and Tortilla Stoup (Stew like Soup)
Adapted from Rachel Ray (Food Network)
· 1 lb chicken tenders
· Salt and pepper
· 1 lb Hot Italian Sausage
· 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· 3 cloves garlic, smashed
· 1 red bell pepper, chopped
· 1 Medium onion, chopped
· 6 Small red potatoes, diced
· 1 Can fire roasted chopped tomatoes (recommended: Muir Glen) (15 ounce)
· 1 Can dark red kidney beans, drained (15 ounce)
· 2 tsp hot sauce
· 1 quart chicken stock
· 1 sack red or blue corn tortilla chips
· 2 Cups shredded pepper jack or smoked Cheddar
· Suggested garnishes: chopped scallions, chopped cilantro or fresh thyme leaves
1. Preheat medium soup pot over medium high heat.
2. Chop tenders into bite size pieces. Wash up, then season chicken with salt and pepper. Dice chorizo. Add extra virgin olive oil and chicken to pot. Lightly brown chicken 2 minutes, then add the chorizo and garlic. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, then add peppers, onions and potatoes. Cook 5 minutes, then stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, and hot sauce. Add chicken stock and bring soup to a bubble.
3. Preheat broiler.
4. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender 10 to 12 minutes. Ladle soup into shallow bowls and top each bowl with a generous handful of crushed tortillas and cheese. Melt cheese under hot broiler. Garnish with scallions and herbs.